Andean Mountain Bike Adventure 4


Apparently the self-adhesive patches I was sold are a waste of time. I gave up and put a new tube in. Earlier, Richard our bike mechanic had shown me how to adjust my disk brakes, which was good as he was long gone when I had to adjust the rear ones. Grrr. It was meant to be an afternoon off.
I went for a walk before dinner and it began with a BBQ chicken heart kebab – anticucho – from a street vendor. It was so good that after walking around the block, I bought another one. Hey! They’re only 20 cents each.

Dinner was at a reputable-looking place with tablecloths and cloth napkins. My medium-cooked Fillet Mignon was not. It was in fact a blue-cooked Scotch steak with mushroom sauce. Someone else with me ordered something different and got the same. How to make your menu look longer than it is.

Tonight I slept well until 2:10am when I woke with our 4th floor room shaking with music from a party in the basement. Midnight maybe, but 2am? I went downstairs dressed in no more than boxer shorts and a t-shirt and asked them to turn it down. After speaking to a few staff, I got the dad, who was throwing the party for his daughter’s 15th birthday. I explained the time and that there was a hotel full of people above who couldn’t sleep for the noise. He instructed the DJ to turn it down and I went back to bed. I could still hear the music but it was no longer intrusive.

Malcolm
photo: janin
(to be continued)