León Nicaragua – Volcano Boarding 4

Amy, a traveler from New Zealand, and I were ready to go. My heart was racing. When I heard Danny say, “Go!” I gave myself a push by forcing my body forward and I began to tap my heels: left right, left right, left right. Tiny bits of rock were pelting my face.
The sound of the board sliding against the gravel increased as I gained speed and descended further down the desolate volcano. The board began to turn and gravel started to burry it. I tried to remember Danny’s instructions and lifted one leg up to straighten my board, but there was no fixing it; I flew off.

I can’t really describe what happened, I was completely disoriented. I told myself, “Look for the board, get back on and keep moving.” Once I found it I mounted the wooden plank and continued to slide down the volcano: left right, left right, left right. I felt myself picking up speed again. I picked up my feet and began to feel the tiny rocks hitting my face quicker this time; my heart was racing even faster. Again, gravel took over and pushed me sideways and off again I went! This time I hit the ground a bit harder. Completely disoriented I looked for my board and mounted it once again. I made it all the way down the volcano.
Aracely Castellani
(to be continued)