The tow-away service



our Pontiac in the Tow away garage

The doorman in the hostel had a lot of fun telling me about a corpulent black lady from the »Tow away service« who, just a while earlier, had towed the car away because it had been parked at the wrong place. I didn't have as much fun as he did; I swore like a trooper as I walked, in the pouring rain, to the parking lot of the tow-away service. Fortunately, it wasn’t too far, just about two kilometers from the hostel.
The employee was unyielding. She agreed with all my arguments, but the tariff was clear: 150 $! Reluctantly, I paid and the doorman led me to the covered parking lot where I found our beautiful dark-red Pontiac. Even though the pane had an inscription saying that the car was protected against breaking in, the door was unlocked and a thick rope was fastened to the steering wheel and clawed with the door; that should prevent the wheels to move during the tow-away. American tow-away vehicles are, in fact, very small trucks, and they only have space for two wheels of any given towed-away vehicle.
to be continued
text & photo: Janin Klemenčič